Glow Tats

This is a journal of my tatting and other needlework adventures. Oh the picture isn't me, it is my fairy me, the me that can fly off in to the woods, forget all my troubles and tat pretty lace all day

Friday, February 02, 2007

Motif 13

A one pass butterfly. How much do I hate to hide ends, so much I've redone this butterfly pattern so it can be tatted in one pass and only two ends to hide. The original was a guild member's estate sale find, so I have no idea who was the original designer. If no one objects? I can share my retake of this pattern for the calendar project. The lovely rainbow thread was a secret santa gift from Hope, thanks Hopie. It has no label but it looks to be a fancy quilting thread, isn't it great.

Now I will always remember what Georgia said to me, that the variegated threads are fun but the design element of the tatting gets lost in the colors. So tatting in variegated threads rarely wins awards. I'm not interested in winning but what a shame to lose the design effect. So this thread will be reserved for fabulous edgings, bookmarks, butterflies, hearts, flowers, many fun things and my doilies and larger pieces will be done in a thread that has less personality.

HAPPY GROUNDHOG DAY!!!!

2 Comments:

Blogger Tattycat said...

Hi Gail,
I love the butterfly and would love to try it. I hope no one objects! That thread is probably Sulky #12 quilting thread. That is what Hope loves and got me started on. It is lovely to work with.
Laura

10:19 AM  
Blogger Eliz Davis aka Tatknot said...

What an unusual butterfly! I don't think I've ever seen one like it. I hope we'll see the pattern in the calendar. How big is the finished butterfly, Gail? And another thread I've got to find. Thanks, Laura, for the name. I've been looking for a variegated thread that has those vibrant jewel tones all in one thread.

6:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home